Developing Good Sleep Habits
- NEVER take a nap
- Taking a nap during the day will interrupt your day-night cycle and not allow you to sleep well at night.
- Go to sleep at the same time every night
- You must go to bed and try to sleep at the same time every night. This is part of developing good habits to which
your body will adjust.
- Prepare for sleep
- 30 minutes before going to bed, prepare your environment by softening the lights and turning down the volume
of any electronic device.
- Always try to go back to sleep if you awaken during the night
- Many patients awaken during the night for a variety of reasons (bathroom, children, etc) but after the incident,
you MUST go back to bed and try to sleep. Do NOT watch television, read, listen to the radio or surf the internet!
- Awaken at the same time every day
- If you wake up a little early, STAY IN BED! If you get up and start doing your usual activties,
that will change your habits.
- Use sleeping aids sparingly
- Use sleeping aids such as over-the-counter benedryl, or presciption medications sparinglingly. Use of them every
day can lead to dependency and even more dangerous side effects. You should not need them if you get your body back
into good sleeping habits.